- Alberta's housing sector is hurting, but it's no 1980s flashback: feds
Sat May 2, 2015 @ 8:00am
OTTAWA - The oil slump is sure to bruise Alberta's housing market, but don't expect real estate in the province to absorb another 1980s-style drubbing, says an internal federal government analysis. ...
- Johnstone: Not all doom and gloom in oilpatch
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 10:10pm
While the official theme of the Williston Basin Petroleum Conference was One Basin Fueling Two Nations, the unofficial and recurring theme was low oil prices and what to do about them. Several speakers at the 23rd annual conference in Regina glumly noted the impact of low oil prices on drilling activity, which has fallen roughly 50 per cent in the first quarter of 2015 versus the same period last year. ...
- CMHC warns of overvalued housing in Regina, Winnipeg
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 9:19pm
Forget the conventional wisdom about Toronto and Vancouver being the most overvalued housing markets in Canada, the federal government’s housing agency says. Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. (CMHC) now claims they’re Regina and Winnipeg. ...
- Dunkin’ Brands brews a lesson in growth for Tim Hortons
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 7:45pm
Investors betting on Tims, through its new parent Restaurant Brands, might consider Dunkin’ Brands as well. Here’s why ...
- B.C. First Nations group to vote on $1-billion Pacific NorthWest LNG deal
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 7:16pm
Pacific NorthWest LNG, led by Malaysia’s state-owned Petronas, is backing the bulk of the $1.15-billion benefits package aimed at winning aboriginal consent for building an $11.4-billion LNG export terminal on Lelu Island ...
- The pros – and cons – of U.S. dividends
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 7:09pm
U.S. dividend stocks are best held in retirement accounts, for a few key tax reasons ...
- George Garvin Brown IV: A family man rides the bourbon boom
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 7:00pm
As the Canadian scion of the old Kentucky family behind Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, the chairman of Brown-Forman has a well-developed appreciation for brown spirits, mint juleps and the family business ...
- Fairfax, executives under investigation for insider trading over Resolute deal
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 6:59pm
Toronto-based investment manager says it is fully co-operating with Quebec’s Autorité des marchés financiers ...
- Berkshire profit climbs 9.8 per cent on insurance, railroad
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 5:36pm
Net income rose to $5.16-billion (U.S.), or $3,143 per share ...
- May 1: Hate fees? Try a credit union - and other letters to the ROB editor
Fri May 1, 2015 @ 5:25pm
Letters to the Editor should be exclusive to The Globe and Mail. Include your name, address and daytime phone number ...
View All Canadian Business News